Education and schools
Norton Gledhill’s Education and Schools team comprises experienced lawyers with real expertise in the education sector. We have broad experience over many years in dealing with legal issues specific to schools in Victoria. We understand the pressures faced by educators and the need for practical, timely and cost effective advice. In addition to legal advice we also provide in-school training seminars for school boards, governance committees, teachers and administration staff on a variety of topics from governance through to risk management. Details of our program are contained in our Professional Development Program.
Details of upcoming and past seminars are contained in our Seminars link. To receive our Quarterly Education Law Newsletter complete our sign up form or email us with your details. Click here for access to our archive of past newsletters.
Our areas of expertise include:
- Defamation and reputational management – particularly issues concerning social networking sites.
- Duty of care and liability including off campus liability and risk management.
- Child protection, subpoenas and Family Court Orders.
- The internet and social media – particularly issues around use of, bullying and misrepresentation.
- Inquiries and inquests.
Corporate and Governance
- Foundations and trusts – including establishment, administration and winding-up.
- General corporate and commercial law – e.g. company secretarial work, licensing, etc.
- Governance – constitutional matters, advising on governing bodies’ duties, offering information sessions and directors’ introduction kits for School Boards and governing bodies, structuring of the Board for succession.
- Corporate structures – including establishing, restructuring and winding-up related community, parents, past students and fundraising entity.
- Tax concessions (including ACNC and ATO regulation).
- Policy and legislative compliance.
- Advising on enrolments, codes of conduct and other policies.
- Commercial Contracts – particularly assisting in the negotiation and administration of services and outsourcing contracts (e.g. maintenance, IT, HR).
- Debt management and recovery.
- Employment and industrial relations including application of awards, policies and advice on bullying, harassment, complaints, occupational health and safety, discipline, dismissal and employment contracts.
- Intellectual property matters such as trademarks, copyright and domain names.
- Litigation and dispute resolution – e.g. disciplinary proceedings, debt collection, etc.
- Privacy and confidential information.
- Property – acquisitions, dispositions and leasing, establishment and administration of building funds and planning issues.
- Restructures, joint ventures, mergers, acquisitions and divestments.
- Application of awards.
- Advice on bullying and harassment.
- Dealing with complaints.
- Occupational health and safety issues.
- Disciplinary issues and dismissal.
- Employment contracts.
We welcome the opportunity to speak to you about how we can assist.